Subject: Vim version 6.0af ALPHA available
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 21:21:14 +0200

The usual bunch of changes and fixes.

Major changes
-------------

When the timestamp of a file changed and the related buffer is unchanged, read
the file to find out if the contents really changed.  Don't give a warning if
the contents is still the same.
Don't give a warning for a changed or deleted file when 'buftype' is set.
The warning for a deleted file no longer uses a dialog, since there is no
choice to be made.

Changed the error IDs style from "(ab9)" to "E123: ".

Win32: Included first implementation of the ":hardcopy" command for printing
to paper. (Vince Negri, Vipin Aravind)

Other changes
-------------

Changed the license for the documentation to the Open Publication License.
This seemed fair, considering the intention to include parts of the Vim book,
which is also published under the OPL.  The downside is that we can't force
someone who would sell copies of the manual to contribute to Uganda.

The Unix Makefile now fully supports using $(DESTDIR) to install to a specific
location.  Replaces the manual setting of *ENDLOC variables.

After  "ayy  don't let  ""yy  or  :let @" = val  overwrite the "a register.
Use the unnamed register instead. 

Simplified a few messages for easier translation. (Nam SungHyun)

For ":diffget" it's possible to use the number of lines plus one in the range,
to be able to get deleted lines below the last line.

Added wincol() and winline() functions for testing.

Fixes
-----

Virtualedit: Made "$" go to the end of the text when used without an
operator. (Chase Tingley)

":edit + ~/file" used an invalid pointer, the "+" wasn't executed.

hangulin.c didn't compile when the GUI was disabled.  Disable it when it won't
work.

searchpair() didn't work correctly.

When the mouse pointer is on a status line and clicking the left button the
pointer shape changed to the normal text pointer.  Now it goes back to the
statusline drag symbol.  Same for the vertical separator.

"cj" gave the error message for 'nomodifiable' twice.  ":s" for every changed
line. (Jerome Plut)

":delcommand" didn't work right when there was a buffer-local user command.

":highlight clear" didn't reset the colors to the defaults.  After loading a
color scheme it reused that scheme.

CTRL-D got stuck above a long line when 'display' contains "lastline".

"vim -h | more" didn't work, output was sent to stderr.  Now use stdout for
mch_msg() when the GUI isn't going to start.

Check for ownership of .exrc and .vimrc was done with stat().  Use lstat() as
well for extra security.

Installing "vimdiff" didn't use the name specified with VIMNAME.

When setting a termcap option like "t_CO", the value could be displayed as
being for a normal key with a modifier, like "<M-=>".

XIM: update cursor color for CursorIM more often.

"gf" didn't include multi-byte characters before the cursor properly. (Muraoka
Taro)

Athena: Removed the menu reordering code, it's no longer needed. (David
Harrison)

When expanding the argument list, entries which are a directory name did not
get included.  This stopped "vim c:/" from opening the file explorer.

"syn include" that uses $VIMRUNTIME was not handled as an absolute path.

GUI: When a file was created outside of Vim and the user selects "reload"
there was no redraw.

"cw" and then "<c-O>0" stayed in Normal mode.

":syn match sd "^" nextgroup=asdf" skipped the first column and matched the
nextgroup in the second column.

"vimdiff a b" with one-line files that are equal, fold was closed in one
window but not the other.  "fd_small" was initialized to FALSE instead of
MAYBE.

GUI: When 'lazyredraw' is set, 'showmatch' didn't work.  Required flushing
the output.

When a ":s" command has a pattern that contains a line break, and it matches
several times, back references used the wrong line.

Adjusted a few places for EBCDIC (untested): AppendToRedobuffLit() and
stuffescaped().

Epilogue
--------

WARNING: This is really an unstable version.  Many things have been added
without proper testing.  It does crash.  It may destroy your work.  New
features may change incompatibly in the next version.

This version is for developers, thus it comes as source code only.
If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
try to solve it and send me a patch.  If you can't do that, at least send me
precise information to save me time.

More info about the new 6.0 features with ":help version6".

If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

Lots of things are not working yet.  Check ":help todo" for known items.

I NEED YOUR HELP: There is still a lot of work to be done.  If I have to do it
all by myself it will take a very long time until Vim.6.0 is ready.  Please
give a hand by implementing one of the items in the todo list.

You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

unix/vim-6.0af-rt.tar.gz	runtime files
unix/vim-6.0af-rt.tar.bz2	same, compressed with bzip2
unix/vim-6.0af-src.tar.gz	sources
unix/vim-6.0af-src.tar.bz2	same, compressed with bzip2

extra/vim-6.0af-extra.tar.gz	extra files
extra/vim-6.0af-lang.tar.gz	multi-language files

Happy Vimming!