Subject: Vim version 6.0aj ALPHA available
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:58:20 +0200

The installation program for MS-Windows has been
changed, but still not tested.  Be careful with it.

Major changes
-------------

Added chapters 24 to 28 in the user manual.

Added the ":compiler" command.  Does a ":runtime compiler/{name}.vim".
Provides a simple way to switch 'errorformat' and 'makeprg'.

Other changes
-------------

Mac format tags files are no longer supported on non-Mac systems.  Otherwise
reading a tags file without binary search (e.g., when 'ignorecase' is set)
takes three times as long.

Use language-map cursor color for language input also for hangul input.
(Sung-Hyun Nam)

Implemented inputdialog() for Win16. (Vince Negri)

Added ":diffthis" command to set options for the current window for vimdiff.

VMS: (Zoltan Arpadffy)
- Removed os_vms_osdef.h, it's no longer used.
- Don't use rmdir() for VAX.
- Re-enabled the hack to write files a line at a time, but only for variable
  record type files.  Required to avoid a line separator being inserted after
  8192 characters.

Motif: (Martin Dalecki)
- Made the dialog layout better.
- Added find and find/replace dialogs.
- For the menus, change "iso-8859" to "iso_8859", Linux appears to need this.
- Added icon to dialogs, like for GTK.

Win32: Updated the files src/if_ole.h and src/vim.tlb.

Made resolve() expand a symbolic link on Unix.

When using ":setlocal noreadonly", don't stop readonly mode.  Readonly mode is
only stopped when resetting 'readonly' globally.

Added Ada indent file. (Neil Bird)

Added "undo" item in 'foldopen': open a fold after undo/redo changed
something.  Also "jump": after "gg" and "G" commands.

Made gettext work better when compiling with MingW.  Specify the name of the
.dll to load in dyn-ming.h.  (Eduardo Fernandez)

Added typecasts and ifdefs as a start to make Vim work on Win64 (George
Reilly)

Can map <Enter> just like <CR> or <Return>.

Add support for Unicode upper/lower case flipping and comparing. (based on
patch by Raphael Finkel)

In syntax.c the coladd field of pos_T wasn't used.  Use lpos_T to make it
faster and avoid a UMR error.

Win32: Disabled _OnWindowPosChanging() to make maximize work better.

Fixes
-----

Multi-byte:
- Win32: Redrawing UTF-8 text with composing characters didn't work correctly.
  Removed handling of composing characters from gui_mch_draw_string().
- When 'encoding' is utf-8 and 'ignorecase' is set, searching could result in
  an endless loop.
- CTRL-W in the command line didn't delete the first character of a word.
  (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

When editing a file again, putting the cursor in the last used position, and
'sol' is off, moving the cursor down would move it to another column.

When using Italian menus, the toolbar didn't appear.  Now get the index for
the icon before translating the name.

Win32: Compiling with VC 4.0 didn't work. (Walter Briscoe)

When 'incsearch' was set and using a search pattern containing a line break,
could get an ml_get error.

":help \_$" didn't work.  Other ":help \_x" items also had problems.

When a ":normal" command opened the cmdline window and ran out of characters,
it got stuck.

When using a color terminal with more than 16 colors, ":hardcopy" could access
beyond the end of an array.

X11: Allocating a color while the locale isn't "C" or English may fail.
Switch to the "C" locale to find the color name. (Martin Dalecki)

Fixed memory leak in MS-DOS wildcard expansion.

Win32: Resolving a shortcut could result in a dialog. (Uasuhiro Matsumoto)

Athena:
- Finally fixed the problems with deleting a menu. (David Harrison)
- font for balloons was not set, could result in something ugly.  Use the same
  resources as the Motif version.  (David Harrison)
- Athena: When closing the confirm() dialog, worked like OK was pressed,
  instead of Cancel.

Athena and Motif: ":tunmenu" didn't remove the tooltip.  (David Harrison)

Virtualedit: Fixed problems with "r" in Visual mode. (Chase Tingley)

The file explorer didn't work in compatible mode, because of line
continuation.

":digraphs" output looked wrong when 'display' is "uhex".
Didn't give an error message for ":digraph a".

When using Ex mode in the GUI and typing a special key, <BS> didn't delete it
correctly.  Now display '?' for a special key.

In a C comment, after a line without a comment leader, <CR> inserted a comment
leader anyway. (Meikel Brandmeyer)

When setting Normal highlighting to reverse, starting Vim didn't redraw with
that color.

MS-DOS and MS-Windows: ":next Make_[gom]vc.mak" didn't work, [] wasn't seen as
a wildcard.

Epilogue
--------

WARNING: This is really an unstable version.  Many things have been added
without proper testing.  It does crash.  It may destroy your work.  New
features may change incompatibly in the next version.

This version is for developers, thus it comes as source code only.
If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
try to solve it and send me a patch.  If you can't do that, at least send me
precise information to save me time.

More info about the new 6.0 features with ":help version6".

If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

Lots of things are not working yet.  Check ":help todo" for known items.

I NEED YOUR HELP: There is still a lot of work to be done.  If I have to do it
all by myself it will take a very long time until Vim.6.0 is ready.  Please
give a hand by implementing one of the items in the todo list.

You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

unix/vim-6.0aj-rt.tar.gz	runtime files
unix/vim-6.0aj-rt.tar.bz2	same, compressed with bzip2
unix/vim-6.0aj-src.tar.gz	sources
unix/vim-6.0aj-src.tar.bz2	same, compressed with bzip2

extra/vim-6.0aj-extra.tar.gz	extra files
extra/vim-6.0aj-lang.tar.gz	multi-language files

Happy Vimming!