Subject: Vim version 6.0al ALPHA available
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 21:08:08 +0200

Major changes
-------------

None this time.

Other changes
-------------

":ls" and ":buffers" output shows modified/readonly/modifiable flag.  When a
buffer is loaded, show "l" instead of nothing.  When a buffer isn't loaded
show nothing instead of "-".

VMS: Use the X-clipboard feature and the X command server. (Zoltan Arpadffy)

Added "vimtutor.bat": script to start Vim on a copy of the tutor file. (Dan
Sharp)

Motif: Change the shadow of the toolbar items to get a visual feedback of it
being pressed on non-LessTiff.  Use gadgets instead of windows for some items
for speed.  (Martin Dalecki)

Highlighting and font for the tooltips can be specified with the "Tooltip"
highlight group. (David Harrison)

Added the 'lispwords' option.  This list of words was previously hard coded.

The Ruby, Tcl and Python interfaces cannot be used from the sandbox.  They
might do dangerous things.  Perl is still possible, but limited to the Safe
environment. (Donnie Smith)

Added "koi8-r" and "koi8-u" as valid values for 'encoding'.

Fixes
-----

The 'imsearch' and 'iminsert' options default value depended on 'compatible'.
The default values for 'iminsert' and 'imsearch', used when creating a new
buffer,  were still zero.  Now use the global option values.

Didn't compile when the GUI is disabled but the X-server connection is
enabled.  Fixed a few small items for the X server.  It now also starts with
the ":gui" command.
":serverlist" crashed when there were no servers.

Computing the "%v" item in 'errorformat' didn't work right when there are
spaces before a tab.  (Dan Sharp)

Comparing multibyte strings with ignorecase didn't check for alphabetical
difference, made the explorer work wrong. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

For 'virtualedit', Visual selection with 'list' set didn't work correctly.
Block selections past the end of the line or ending in the middle of a tab
were not done correctly.  (Chase Tingley)
'virtualedit' didn't work well together with multibyte characters. (Muraoka
Taro).

Win32: dropping files on gvim did not always activate Vim. (Vince Negri)

Using CTRL-R while doing CTRL-X completion in Insert mode had a few problems.
(Neil Bird)

Folding: When changing 'ts' and foldmethod is indent, folds were not redone.

Using ":ts tag" with a more prompt, hit q then CR.  Next g_CTRL-] didn't give
a more prompt.

":set swb=split", make the error window be the only one, <CR> opened two error
windows.

The line with 'pastetoggle' in ":options" didn't show the right value when it
is a special key.  Hitting <CR> didn't work either.

Win32: The global IME didn't compile. (Eduardo Fernandez)

Formatting text, resulting in a % landing in the first line, repeated the % in
the following lines, like it's the start of a comment.

GTK: When adding a toolbar item while gvim is already running, it wasn't
possible to use the tooltip.  Now it works by adding the tooltip first.

Epilogue
--------

WARNING: This is really an unstable version.  Many things have been added
without proper testing.  It does crash.  It may destroy your work.  New
features may change incompatibly in the next version.

This version is for developers, thus it comes as source code only.
If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
try to solve it and send me a patch.  If you can't do that, at least send me
precise information to save me time.

More info about the new 6.0 features with ":help version6".

If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

Lots of things are not working yet.  Check ":help todo" for known items.

I NEED YOUR HELP: There is still a lot of work to be done.  If I have to do it
all by myself it will take a very long time until Vim.6.0 is ready.  Please
give a hand by implementing one of the items in the todo list.

You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

unix/vim-6.0al-rt.tar.gz	runtime files
unix/vim-6.0al-rt.tar.bz2	same, compressed with bzip2
unix/vim-6.0al-src.tar.gz	sources
unix/vim-6.0al-src.tar.bz2	same, compressed with bzip2

extra/vim-6.0al-extra.tar.gz	extra files
extra/vim-6.0al-lang.tar.gz	multi-language files

Happy Vimming!