Subject: Vim version 6.0an ALPHA available
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:37:28 +0200

The MS-Windows install programs have been further improved.  To allow
you to try out the self-installing executable, I have uploaded it here:

	ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/pc/gvim60an.exe

We are getting very close to a beta test now.  Please check if there
are any problems that need to be fixed before the beta test can go out.

Major changes
-------------

MS-Windows install/uninstall:
- Improved NSIS installer script.  It now executes install.exe to do some of
  the installation items. (Eduardo Fernandez/Jon Merz).
- Improved the install program.  Be able to create shortcuts on the desktop
  and install Vim in the start menu.  (Jon Merz)
  Cleaned it up and reduced the number of choices.
- Improved the uninstal program.  It now also deletes the entries in the Start
  menu, icons from the desktop and the created batch files. (Jon Merz)
  Also made it possible to delete only some of these.

":diffput" and ":diffget" with a range only affect the specified lines, not
the whole diff that is partly included.

Win32: Merged Make_gvc.mak and Make_ovc.mak into one file: Make_ivc.mak.  It's
much smaller, many unecessary text has been removed. (Walter Briscoe)

Other changes
-------------

The "l" for "loaded" in the output of ":buffers" has been changed to "a" for
active buffer.  "l" was confusing, since hidden buffers are also loaded.

Disabled ":hardcopy" for non-MS-Windows systems.  PostScript printing was too
primitive to be useful.

Removed "vimdiff.vim" and "hvimdiff.vim" from the distribution, vimdiff
replaces them.

Added the "l" flag in 'cinoptions'. (Anduin Withers)

Added ":z#" command: list numbered lines. (Bohdan Vlasyuk)

Recognize a few more xterm keys: <C-Right>, <C-Left>, <C-End>, <C-Home>

Added Japanese translation of the vimtutor. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

Mac: Support using "~" for home directory. (Dany St-Amant)

New syntax files:
- specman (Or Freund)
- PL/M (Philippe Coulonges)
- BDF font (Nikolai Weibull)

Unix: When installing the tools, set absolute paths in tools scripts
efm_perl.pl and mve.awk.  Avoids that the user has to edit these files.

Use the Solaris XpmP.h include file when it's available. (Martin Dalecki)

Switched back to autoconf 2.13.  2.50 still has a few problems.

Added ":scscope" command, split window and execute Cscope command. (Jason
Duell)

CTRL-\ CTRL-N in Normal mode avoids going back to Insert mode after using
CTRL-O.

Added 'imactivatekey' option to better control XIM.  (Muraoka Taro)

Install Icons for KDE when the directories exist and the icons do not exist
yet.

Fixes
-----

When equalizing the window widths, would not always use enough space for the
current window, depending on 'winminwidth'.

When setting 'winminwidth' to a value larger than the current width, would set
the window height.

Win32: Without scrollbars present, the MS mouse scroll wheel didn't work.
Also handle the scrollbars when they are not visible.

Mac: (Dany St-Amant)
- The project os_mac.pbxproj didn't work,  Moved it to a subdirectory.
- Made the menu priority work for the menubar.
- Fixed a problem with dragging the scrollbar.
- Cleaned up the various #ifdefs.

Motif: When there is no right scrollbar, the bottom scrollbar would still
leave room for it.  (Martin Dalecki)

When changing 'guicursor' and the value is invalid, some of the effects would
still take place.  Now first check for errors and only make the new value
effective when it's OK.

Athena: Didn't compile when xpm header file was missing.

Using "A" In Visual block mode, appending to lines that don't extend into the
block, padding was wrong.

Fixed conversion of documentation to HTML using Perl. (Dan Sharp)

After switching language, GNU gettext() was still using cached values for
the old language.  Increment _nl_msg_cat_cntr to work around this problem.

When pasting a block of text, a character that occupies more than one screen
column could be deleted and spaces inserted instead.  Now only do that with a
tab.

Give an error message when a menu name starts with a dot.

When using vimdiff, sorting all lines could result in ml_get() errors.
When deleting a diff block and part of the diff block below it the updating of
diff blocks was wrong.

Avoid a hang when executing a shell from the GUI on HP-UX by pushing "ptem"
even when sys/ptem.h isn't present.

":foldopen" and ":foldclose" didn't accept a !.

Closing a window that was horizontally split, while the window above it was
vertically split, Vim could hang.

When creating the temp directory, make sure umask is 077, otherwise the
directory is not accessible when it was set to 0177.

Unix: When resizing the window and a redraw is a bit slow, could get a window
resize event while redrawing, resulting in a messed up window.  Any input
(e.g., a mouse click) would redraw.

With 'encoding' set to "utf-8" and ignore-case, a single character in a search
pattern would match anywhere.

When 'backupskip' matches, would still make a patchmode file (empty).

'virtualedit': After using "$" a yank would include a space after the end of
the line. (Chase Tingley)

The configure check for Editres.h and Xm.h was not done with the right cpp
arguments. (Martin Dalecki)

The "%B" item in the status line became zero in Insert mode (that's normal)
for another than the current window.

The menu entries to convert to xxd and back didn't work in Insert mode.

GTK Multibyte: drawing the cursor was sometimes wrong. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

Japanese: A character was sometimes not redrawn when only the second byte
changes and the character is single width. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

Epilogue
--------

WARNING: This is really an unstable version.  Many things have been added
without proper testing.  It does crash.  It may destroy your work.  New
features may change incompatibly in the next version.

This version is for developers, thus it comes as source code only.
If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
try to solve it and send me a patch.  If you can't do that, at least send me
precise information to save me time.

More info about the new 6.0 features with ":help version6".

If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

unix/vim-6.0an.tar.bz2		sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed
unix/vim-6.0an-rt1.tar.gz	runtime files part 1
unix/vim-6.0an-rt2.tar.gz	runtime files part 2
unix/vim-6.0an-src1.tar.gz	sources part 1
unix/vim-6.0an-src2.tar.gz	sources part 2

extra/vim-6.0an-extra.tar.gz	extra files
extra/vim-6.0an-lang.tar.gz	multi-language files

pc/gvim60an.exe			MS-Windows self-installing executable

Happy Vimming!