Subject: Vim version 6.0aq BETA available
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 23:15:51 +0200

The second BETA for Vim 6.0.  There were no big problems in 6.0ap,
just the usual small fixes.  And a few additions that looked safe
enough to add.  There are diff files betwen 6.0ap and 6.0aq,
if you want to save some time downloading.

Going beta means I'll drastically cut down on including new
features.  Finding and fixing problems is the main work now.  One
item that might still be added is making "--remote" work with OLE,
so that we can discard "SendToVim.exe" and "EditWithVim.exe".

Major changes
-------------

Added support for the Windows clipboard in the 32 bit DOS version. (David
Kotchan)

Added C versions of the OpenWithVim and SendToVim programs. (Walter Briscoe)

Other changes
-------------

Dos 32 bit: Use a vertical scroll region, makes scrolling in vertically split
windows a lot faster.

New syntax files:
dot		dot (Markus Mottl)
terminfo	terminfo (Nikolai Weibull)
povini		Povray configuration (David Necas)
screen		Screen RC (Nikolai Weibull)

Define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN in most places before including windows.h to make
compilation go smoother.

Added AC_EXEEXT to configure.in, to check if the executable needs ".exe" for
Cygwin or MingW.  Renamed SUFFIX to EXEEXT in Makefile.

In the quickfix buffer, reset 'modifiable'.  There is no reason to change the
text.

Make it possible to build a version with multi-byte and iconv support with
Borland 5.5.  (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

GTK: Disabled using Gnome by default.  It causes more trouble than it adds
fancy features.

MS-Windows installer: Let uninstal.exe delete the uninstall registry key.
(Eduardo Fernandez)

When using ":winpos" before the GUI window has been opened, remember the
values until it is opened.

Included a few pixmap changes to reduce the number of colors used (Martin
Dalecki)

When checking for a file being changed outside of Vim, also check if the file
permissions changed.  When the file contents didn't change but the permissions
did, give a warning.

Athena/Motif: When FONTSET_ALWAYS is defined, always use a fontset for the
menus.  Should avoid trouble with changing from a font to a fontset.  (David
Harrison)

Fixes
-----

Dos 32 bit: With a vertical split, scrolling the right window caused the left
window to scroll up.

When evaluating the "= register resulted in the "= register being changed, Vim
would crash.

When using ":" after an operator, the type of motion wasn't set and thus
depended on the previous command.  Now use characterwise exclusive.  Using
":normal" caused trouble, because finish_op was reset.

When doing ":view file" and it fails, the current buffer was made read-only.

Motif: For some people the separators in the toolbar disappeared when resizing
the Vim window. (Martin Dalecki)

MS-Windows printing: With duplex setting could print an extra page.  Handle
aborting of the print job. (Vipin Aravind)
Page number was wrong when duplexing.

MS-Windows: Loading Dynamic IME didn't work on Windows 95/98. (Muraoka Taro)

The src/po/Makefile was using "cc".  Now pass $(CC) from the main Makefile, so
that it works for other compilers.

GTK with Gnome: inputdialog() didn't contain a textfield.  Also, the mouse
pointer was invisible in main window.

Workshop: Lots of "pointer and integer" warnings, was using NULL instead of
NUL.

Compile errors when enabling the Workshop interface but not the toolbar.

When iconv fails to convert ja.po to ja.sjis.po, make would stop and "make
install" was imposible.  Now ignore errors when this conversion fails and
continue.

Win32 GUI: when setting 'lines' to a huge number, would not compute the
available space correctly.  Was counting the menu height twice.

Conversion of the docs to HTML didn't handle the line with the +quickfix tag
correctly. (Antonio Colombo)

Win32: fname_case() didn't handle multi-byte characters correctly. (Yasuhiro
Matsumoto)

Doing CTRL-G after just starting Vim, would give the info just below the intro
message, instead of on the command line.

The Cygwin version had trouble with fchdir().  Don't use that function for
Cygwin.

Could use ":fold" to create a fold while manual folds are not allowed.

The option window used 'pset' instead of 'popt'.

MS-Windows installer: The check for "vimfiles" didn't work. (Eduardo
Fernandez)

Using a silent mapping or menu that uses getchar() obtained the K_SILENT that
ended the silent command instead.  Now remember the length of the mapped
characteres in tb_silent, like tb_maplen.

The generic check in scripts.vim for "conf" syntax was done before some checks
in filetype.vim, resulting in "conf" syntax too often.

When Visually selecting an area and using "=" such that the nr of screen lines
increases but the last few selected lines are not affected, the highlighting
in the last line was not removed.

When reloading a changed file, it remained read-only.

"precedes" in 'listchars' was displayed in the fold column and before the line
number.  Now display it just before the text.

Athena: Crash when deleting all menus.

The "-M" argument was missing from "vim -h".

Motif: When there is no menu or toolbar, the position of the text area was
wrong.

Epilogue
--------

WARNING: This is an unstable version.  Many things have been added without
proper testing.  It does crash.  It may destroy your work.  New features may
change incompatibly in the next version.

If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
try to solve it and send me a patch.  If you can't do that, at least let me
know how exactly to reproduce the problem.

More info about the new 6.0 features with ":help version6".

If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

Unix:
unix/vim-6.0aq.tar.bz2		sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed
unix/vim-6.0aq-rt1.tar.gz	runtime files part 1
unix/vim-6.0aq-rt2.tar.gz	runtime files part 2
unix/vim-6.0aq-src1.tar.gz	sources part 1
unix/vim-6.0aq-src2.tar.gz	sources part 2
unix/vim-6.0ap-6.0aq.diff.gz	diff between 6.0ap and 6.0aq

Various:
extra/vim-6.0aq-extra.tar.gz	extra files
extra/vim-6.0aq-lang.tar.gz	multi-language files
extra/vim-6.0ap-6.0aq-extra.diff.gz	extra diff
extra/vim-6.0ap-6.0aq-lang.diff.gz	multi-lang diff
doc/vim60aqhtml.zip		help files converted to HTML

MS-Windows:
pc/gvim60aq.exe			self-installing, includes runtime files
pc/vim60aqrt.zip		runtime files
pc/vim60aqlang.zip		extra files for translated messages and menus
pc/gvim60aq.zip			GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000
pc/gvim60aqole.zip		GUI binary with OLE support
pc/gvim60aq_s.zip		GUI binary for Windows 3.1
pc/vim60aqd16.zip		16 bits real mode - works on any system
pc/vim60aqd32.zip		32 bits protected mode - needs 386 and DPMI
pc/vim60aqw32.zip		console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
pc/vim60aqsrc.zip		sources for PC (with CR-LF)

Amiga:
amiga/vim60aqrt.tgz		runtime files
amiga/vim60aqbin.tgz		binaries
amiga/vim60aqsrc.tgz		sources packed for Amiga

OS/2:
os2/vim60aqrt.zip		runtime files
os2/vim60aqos2.zip		binaries

Happy Vimming!