Subject: Vim version 6.0as BETA available
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 22:48:39 +0200

This is the fourth BETA for Vim 6.0.  Again a number of problems were fixed.

The printer funcionality is mostly ready now.  The main thing missing is a
printer dialog for non-MS-Windows systems.  This should be added within the
the next week, otherwise I'll postpone it until after 6.0.  If you can help
implementing this, please let me know!

The remote control functionality has been renamed.  Most of it now also works
in MS-Windows, although there are a few remaining problems.  This is
implemented completely differently now, using Windows messages instead of OLE
(mostly done by Paul Moore).  If you are interested, please check out how this
is implemented.  Other programs might also use the messages, thus we must make
sure they don't need incompatible changes later.

Going beta means I'll drastically cut down on including new features.  Finding
and fixing problems is the main work now!

Major changes
-------------

Renamed arguments and functions for the command server:
--serversend	to  --remote-send
--serverexpr	to  --remote-expr
serversend()	to  remote_send() and remote_expr()
servernames()	to  serverlist()
serverreply_peek()  to  remote_peek()
serverreply_read()  to  remote_read()
serverreply_send()  to  server2client()
Renamed autocommand event ServerReplyRecv to RemoteReply

Changed the Win32 --remote stuff from using OLE to windows messages.  Now it
should work with any Win32 version.  For the user it works the same way as
with Unix.  (Paul Moore)

Other changes
-------------

PostScript printing: Recognize a fontsize in 'printfont', e.g., ":h12".

MS-Windows console: Printing didn't use the right fonts.  Moved get_logfont()
to os_mswin.c.  Now include windows.h always. (Xiangjiang Ma, Vince Negri)

Printing: Added "collate" to the 'printoptions' option.

Don't include doc/uganda.nsis.txt in the distribution.  It's only needed for
the nsis installer and it can be generated from uganda.txt.

Win32: Load comdlg32.dll delayed for faster startup.  Only when using VC 6.
(Vipin Aravind)

Win32: When compiling with Borland, allow using IME. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

Added the foreground() function, used by --remote.

Fixes
-----

Make_bc5.mak contained some lines for TCL twice, including a "!if".

When using IME on the console to enter a file name, the screen may scroll up.
Redraw the screen then. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

The default value for 'printexpr' was wrong and in read-only memory, which
would cause a crash when it's used.

Motif: Compilation problem when there is no xpm.h file. (Martin Dalecki)

Motif: The find/replace dialog didn't align the labels correctly. (Martin
Dalecki)
In the find/replace dialog the "Replace" button didn't work first time, second
time it replaced all matches.  Removed the use of ":s///c".
GTK: Similar problems with the find/replace dialog, moved the code to a common
function.

X11: Use shared GC's for text. (Martin Dalecki)

When editing with two windows, using ":help" and then ":only" in the bottom
window, would end up with only the middle window.

'printexpr' was missing from the options window.

"]i" found the match under the cursor, instead of the first one below it.
Same for "]I", "] CTRL-I", "]d", "]D" and "] CTRL-D".

Win16: When maximized and the font is changed, don't change the window size.
Fix building with BC5. (Vince Negri)

In the explorer plugin a backslash was missing, causing "i" (toggle extra
info) to generate an error.

After formatting a paragraph with no comments, a paragraph with comments
was formatted like it had no comments.  Removed the ugly fo_do_comments global
variable that was the cause of this problem.

GTK Gnome: A dialog with a textfield would not use Gnome.  A dialog could pop
up far from the Vim window. (Andy Kahn)

Win32: Using dimm.idl with VC5.0 generated an error.  In gui_w48.c a warning
was given for redefining DefWindowProc. (Walter Briscoe)

The "rrhelper" plugin caused problems when starting in compatible mode.

When displaying a message again after updating the display, it was put in the
message history twice.  Reset keep_msg in msg_attr_keep().

MS-Windows printing: When using an italic font with an overlap between char
cells, a small part was chopped off.  Now don't do that when there is a white
background.

When using a command like ":cn", v:statusmsg wasn't set.

After "hi Tooltip font=5x7", "hi clear" the tooltips were empty or caused a
crash.  Now always use a fontset for the tooltips. (David Harrison)

The X11 server code used replace_termcodes(), which depends on 'cpoptions'.
Now it works independent of 'cpoptions'.  (Paul Moore)

When 'lbr' is set, deleting a block of text could leave the cursor in the
wrong position.

Win32: When opening a file with the "Edit with Vim" popup menu entry,
wildcards would cause trouble.  Added the "--literal" argument to avoid
expanding file names.

When using "gv", it didn't restore that "$" was used in Visual block mode.

Win32 GUI: When the window is maximized and setting 'columns' or 'lines'
the window didn't resize.

Win32 GUI: While waiting for a shell command to finish, the window wasn't
redrawn at all. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

Syntax highlighting: A match that continues on a next line because of a
contained region didn't end when that region ended.

The ":s" command didn't allow flags like 'e' and 'i' right after it.

When using ":s" to split a line, marks were moved to the next line.  Vi keeps
them in the first line.

When using ":n" ":rew", the previous context mark was at the top of the file,
while Vi puts it in the same place as the cursor.  Made it Vi compatible.

Fixed Vi incompatibility: Text was not put in register 1 when using "c" and
"d" with a motion character, when deleting within one line with one of the
commands: % ( ) `<character> / ? N n { }

Epilogue
--------

WARNING: This is still an unstable version.  Most functionality should work
fine, but in some cases it might crash or even destroy your work.

If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
try to solve it and send me a patch.  If you can't do that, at least let me
know exactly how to reproduce the problem.

More info about the new 6.0 features with ":help version6".  Or look here:
http://vim.sf.net/whyvim.php.

If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/
More information about downloading: http://vim.sf.net/download.php

Unix:
unix/vim-6.0as.tar.bz2		sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed
unix/vim-6.0as-rt1.tar.gz	runtime files part 1
unix/vim-6.0as-rt2.tar.gz	runtime files part 2
unix/vim-6.0as-src1.tar.gz	sources part 1
unix/vim-6.0as-src2.tar.gz	sources part 2
unix/vim-6.0ar-6.0as.diff.gz	diff between 6.0ar and 6.0as

Various:
extra/vim-6.0as-extra.tar.gz	extra files
extra/vim-6.0as-lang.tar.gz	multi-language files
extra/vim-6.0ar-6.0as-extra.diff.gz	extra diff
extra/vim-6.0ar-6.0as-lang.diff.gz	multi-lang diff
doc/vim60ashtml.zip		help files converted to HTML

MS-Windows:
pc/gvim60as.exe			self-installing, includes runtime files
pc/vim60asrt.zip		runtime files
pc/vim60aslang.zip		extra files for translated messages and menus
pc/gvim60as.zip			GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000
pc/gvim60asole.zip		GUI binary with OLE support
pc/gvim60as_s.zip		GUI binary for Windows 3.1
pc/vim60asd16.zip		16 bits real mode - works on any system
pc/vim60asd32.zip		32 bits protected mode - needs 386 and DPMI
pc/vim60asw32.zip		console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
pc/vim60assrc.zip		sources for PC (with CR-LF)

Amiga:
amiga/vim60asrt.tgz		runtime files
amiga/vim60asbin.tgz		binaries
amiga/vim60assrc.tgz		sources packed for Amiga

OS/2:
os2/vim60asrt.zip		runtime files
os2/vim60asos2.zip		binaries

Happy Vimming!