Subject: Vim version 6.0au BETA available
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 20:23:57 +0200

This is the "golden" BETA for Vim 6.0.

Again mostly bug fixes.  I expect the 6.0 release in just a few weeks now.
Please try to find every bug, documentation mistake, omission, etc.

I noticed that a few people didn't report problems, assuming someone
else would do that.  Well, if you still see a problem now,
apparently nobody reported it yet, so you better do that _now_!

Changes
-------

PostScript printing:
- Made "duplex" work. (Mike Williams)
- Added paper size to the PostScript file, makes GhostView display the pages
  correctly. (Mike Williams)
- Added paper sizes "A3", "A5", "legal", etc. (Mike Williams)
- When aborting printing with CTRL-C, don't send the file to the printer.

New Syntax files:
lftp        LFTP (Nikolai Weibull)
readline    readline config (Nikolai Weibull)
mush        mush sourcecode (Bek Oberin)
wget        Wget configuration (Doug Kearns)
sqlforms    SQL*Forms (Austin Ziegler)

Added "/dyn" to ":version" output for dynamic gettext, iconv and IME. (Taro
Muraoka)

Added compiler plugin for ant. (Johannes Zellner)

Added Ukranian message translations. (Bohdan Vlasyuk)

Included changes for QNX with Photon GUI (Julian Kinraid):
- The photon menus work a lot better now (hotkeys, mnemonics, ghosting).
- Support for mouse shapes.
- Support for the gui-toolbar.
- Improvements to dialogs, inputdialog() is supported and you can press escape
  to cancel a dialog.
- A bug in the keyboard input handler is fixed (shifted keys weren't always
  working properly).
- Plus various minor improvements to the photon code.

Added ":augroup! name" to delete an autocommand group.  Needed for the
client-server "--remote-wait".

Add Vim version number to the viminfo file, useful for debugging.

Fixes
-----

GTK GUI with Gnome: inputdialog() didn't return the entered text. (Andy Kahn)

Gvimext didn't build with Borland. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)

GTK GUI: Tearoff items were added even when 'guioptions' didn't contain 't'
when starting up.

Motif/Athena: When 'mousefocus' was set, the mouse would not be positioned
correctly, because of the toolbar.  Get the mouse pointer position directly
from the text widget, instead of using the shell and correcting for scrollbar
and menu.
Need to handle X events in exposure callbacks to avoid redraw problems when
drawing is slow. (Martin Dalecki)

MS-Windows: When the current directory includes a "~", searching files with
"gf" or ":find" didn't work.  A "$" in the directory had the same problem.
Added mch_has_exp_wildcard() functions.

When not using xfontsets, would still use XtDefaultFontSet for the menu font,
should be XtDefaultFont.

When defining signs, removing them and defining them again Vim would crash.
(Tomas Zellerin)

When reducing the Vim window height while starting up, would get an
out-of-memory error message.

When doing "make" Gnome was disabled by default, but running "configure"
directly had it enabled.  Now it's also disabled for "configure".

client-server:
- Unix: Didn't properly recognize windows used by Vim. (Flemming Madsen)
- When using --remote-wait with the same file twice (either with the same
  client or with two clients) there would only be one response from the server
  and the client was stuck. (Flemming Madsen)
- Unix: When using ":gui" the window ID wasn't used correctly
- Case differences in the server name were not always ignored.
- When starting up, the window title didn't always include the server name.
- Win32: Could lockup on DDE with broadcast messages.  Use the window title to
  find servers instead.
- Win32: A client using "--remote-wait" would not exit if the server was quit
  before all files were edited. (Paul Moore)
- Win32 console: There was a delay when exiting, caused by sending the
  broadcast message.  Removed that and check every second if the server is
  still running.

The unit of margins in 'printoptions' wasn't checked properly.  "in" is to big
to be useful, added "pt" for points. (Mike Williams)

When printing duplex (which is the default) and there is an odd number of
pages, a blank page was added.

":hardcopy > file.ps" wrote the file " file.ps" (wht a leading space).

When producing PostScript, syntax HL resynced on each character.  Now it's
quite a bit faster.

IRIX: Ctrl-keys didn't work when compiled with XIM.  (David Harrison)

When editing a very long search pattern, 'incsearch' caused the redraw of the
command line to fail.

Motif GUI: On some systems the "Help" menu would not be on the far right, as
it should be.  On some other systems (esp. IRIX) the command line would not
completely show.  Solution is to only resize the menubar for Lesstif.

":match none" didn't redraw to remove the highlighting. (Aric Blumer)

Using "%" in a line that contains "\\" twice didn't take care of the quotes
properly.  Now make a difference between \" and \\".

For non-Unix systems a dummy file is created when finding a swap name to
detect a 8.3 filesystem.  When there is an existing swap file, would get a
warning for the file being created outside of Vim.  Also, when closing the Vim
window the file would remain.

Motif: The menu height was always computed, using a "-menuheight" argument
was setting the room for the command line.  Now make clear the argument is not
supported.

Included a few fixes for the Win16 port. (Vince Negri)

Pasting with the middle mouse button pasted after the pointer position instead
of before it.  coladvance() returned FAIL while it should be OK.

Unix: When writing a file and the backup is made by renaming the original
file, the inode number changes.  This was not reflected in the inode kept with
the buffer.

For some (EBCDIC) systems, POUND was equal to '#'.  Added an #if for that to
avoid a duplicate case in a switch.

The GUI may have problems when forking.  Always call _exit() instead of exit()
in the parent, the child will call exit().

Win32 GUI: Accented characters were often wrong in dialogs and tearoff menus.
Now use CP_ACP instead of CP_OEMCP. (Vince Negri)

When 'autoread' is set, reloading the file moved the cursor to the first line.

Selecting a word in Visual mode with the mouse and pasting it in a line above
didn't remove the highlighting.

Win32: When getting the locale language in gvimext and option.c, recognize
"jpn" for "ja" and "cht" for "zh_TW".

When displaying text with syntax highlighting causes an error (e.g., running
out of stack) the syntax highlighting is disabled to avoid further messages.

When a command in a .vimrc or .gvimrc causes an ATTENTION prompt, and Vim was
started from the desktop (no place to display messages) it would hang.  Now
open the GUI window early to be able to display the messages and pop up the
dialog.

When 'delcombine' is set but 'encoding' is not "utf-8" would still check for
deleting combining characters.

"r<CR>" on a multi-byte character deleted only the first byte of the
character. "3r<CR>" deleted three bytes instead of three characters.

When 'virtualedit' is "all", using "p" just after the last character in a line
putted before the cursor like "P".

When interrupting reading a file, Vi considers the buffer modified.  Added the
'i' flag in 'cpoptions' flag for this (we don't want it modified to be able to
do ":q").

'cindent': When "l1" is in 'cinoptions', don't align on a "{" after a "case"
statement. (David Bustos)

Epilogue
--------

WARNING: This is still an unstable version.  Most functionality should work
fine, but in some cases it might crash or even destroy your work.

If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
try to solve it and send me a patch.  If you can't do that, at least let me
know exactly how to reproduce the problem.

More info about the new 6.0 features with ":help version6".  Or look here:
http://vim.sf.net/whyvim.php.

If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/
More information about downloading: http://vim.sf.net/download.php

Unix:
unix/vim-6.0au.tar.bz2      sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed
unix/vim-6.0au-rt1.tar.gz   runtime files part 1
unix/vim-6.0au-rt2.tar.gz   runtime files part 2
unix/vim-6.0au-src1.tar.gz  sources part 1
unix/vim-6.0au-src2.tar.gz  sources part 2
unix/vim-6.0at-6.0au.diff.gz    diff between 6.0at and 6.0au

Various:
extra/vim-6.0au-extra.tar.gz        extra files
extra/vim-6.0au-lang.tar.gz     multi-language files
extra/vim-6.0at-6.0au-extra.diff.gz extra diff
extra/vim-6.0at-6.0au-lang.diff.gz  multi-lang diff
doc/vim60auhtml.zip         help files converted to HTML

MS-Windows:
pc/gvim60au.exe         self-installing, includes runtime files
pc/vim60aurt.zip        runtime files
pc/vim60aulang.zip      extra files for translated messages and menus
pc/gvim60au.zip         GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000
pc/gvim60auole.zip      GUI binary with OLE support
pc/gvim60au_s.zip       GUI binary for Windows 3.1
pc/vim60aud16.zip       16 bits real mode - works on any system
pc/vim60aud32.zip       32 bits protected mode - needs 386 and DPMI
pc/vim60auw32.zip       console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
pc/vim60ausrc.zip       sources for PC (with CR-LF)

Amiga:
amiga/vim60aurt.tgz     runtime files
amiga/vim60aubin.tgz        binaries
amiga/vim60ausrc.tgz        sources packed for Amiga

OS/2:
os2/vim60aurt.zip       runtime files
os2/vim60auos2.zip      binaries

Happy Vimming!