Subject: Vim version 6.0aw BETA available
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 22:19:17 +0200

This might be the last BETA for Vim 6.0.  I'm planning the 6.0 release
in less than a week from now.  I'm not going to change much, only
important problems and things I know won't cause trouble.

Last call for updating message and menu translations!!!

All recently reported problems have been fixed, except for an obscure
one with --remote-send.

I have added the 'imdisable' option to work around the XIM problems on
SGI/Irix.  Please verify that there are no problems when 'imdisable' is
at it's default value.  We were unable to add a real fix, so this hack
had to be added to make Vim work for most people.

Changes
-------

Made ACL support work on SGI.

Added Chinese message translations and menu translations.  (Wang Jun)

New syntax files:
ratpoison	Ratpoison config/command (Doug Kearns)
lynx		Lynx config (Doug Kearns)

Fixes
-----

When 'virtualedit' is set:
- Using "A" with a blockwise selection didn't work after the end of the line.
- "P" in virtual space didn't work.
- "p" at the last position in a TAB used spaces while this wasn't required.

MS-Windows: In the install program, add a title argument to the "start"
command when "cmd.exe" has been detected.  Should fix the problem that
uninstalling a previous version doesn't work.

When 'scrolloff' is non-zero and "$" is in 'cpoptions', using "s" while the
last line of the file is the first line on screen, the text wasn't displayed.

When running "autoconf", delete the configure cache to force starting cleanly
when configure is run again.

Removed the curly braces from the argument to XSetLocaleModifiers() again,
this was a misinterpretation of the manpage.

When changing the Normal colors for cterm, the value of 'background' was
changed even when the GUI was used.

Athena and Motif: When adding a tooltip to a normal menu item, Vim would
crash.

The warning for a missing vimrun.exe was always given on startup, but some
people just editing a file don't need to be bothered by it.  Only show it when
vimrun would be used.

When debugging commands that were preceded with ":silent", debug mode didn't
display the typed command.

Using "]c" in diff mode could cause a "ml_get" error.  It didn't consistently
beep, now it beeps when not moving the cursor.

After using ":diffthis" the topline could be halfway a fold, causing display
problems.

Gvimext: Don't call LoadLibrary() in DllMain(), it may cause a crash.  Use
thread-safe increment and decrement for reference counters. (Muraoka Taro)

When using "%" in a multibyte text it could get confused by trailbytes that
match. (Muraoka Taro)

Termcap entry for RiscOS was wrong, using 7 and 8 in octal codes.

Athena: The title of a dialog window and the file selector window were not
set. (David Harrison)

The "htmlLink" highlight group specified colors, which gives problems when
using a color scheme.  Added the "Underlined" highlight group for this.

The indent.vim file contained line continuation, that doesn't work when
in compatible mode.

When using ":bufdo" it would stop at the first unlisted buffer.

When closing the command line window with a mapped ":quit" it would execute
the line under the cursor.

The file explorer plugin didn't sort on time correctly. (Bernd Strohhaecker)

After using ":insert" or ":change" the '[ mark would be one line too low.

Macintosh: Prototype was missing for mch_has_exp_wildcard(). (Axel Kielhorn)

'imactivate' was compiled in for Athena and Motif while it only works for GTK.

Handling dropped files was nearly identical between Win16 and Win32, but the
function was defined twice.  Moved it to gui_w48.c.

Sun Workshop: Changing directory to the directory of an edited file caused
other file names to become invalid.  The balloon evaluation didn't work.
Made the toolbar commands work silently.

Win32: The $VIMRUNTIME/procset.ps file had CR-LF line endings, should be LF.

The "sjiscorr" program was always compiled, and since it's then newer than
ja.sjis.po that file would always be produced.  Avoid that by only generating
ja.sjis.po when it's older than ja.po.

When looking for the file name after a match with 'include' one character was
skipped.  Same for 'define'.

PostScript printing: Under some locales floating point numbers used a comma
instead of a decimal point, which doesn't work. (Mike Williams)

Win32 printing: When the bold version of the printer font is wider, the title
would wrap.  Align the text to the baseline.

Win32 and DJGPP: When editing a file with a short name in a directory, and
editing the same file but using the long name, would end up with two buffers
on the same file.

When moving the cursor to just below the currently displayed text, the cursor
could be in the first column instead of on the right character.

runtime/doc/tags.html was used both for tags.txt and the converted tags file.
Renamed tags.txt to tagsrch.txt.

"gf" on a filename that starts with "../" only worked when the file being
edited is in the current directory.  An include file search didn't work
properly for files starting with "../" or ".".  Now search both relative to
the file and to the current directory.

When setting 'scrollbind' with a ":windo" command, the relative positions were
not kept.

Remote server:
- Using foreground() doesn't always work for MS-Windows, the OS forbids an
  application to move itself to the foreground.  Added remote_foreground() to
  have the client do it.  On Unix it also works, for portability.
- "gvim --remote main.c" which executes itself didn't set the server name.
- When "--remote-send" failed, was trying to execute locally.  That doesn't
  make sense, now Vim exits.
- "vim --servername foo --remote main.c" which executes itself didn't handle
  received remote commands.  The X display was closed and opened again when
  setting the terminal.

When 'printheader', 'titlestring', 'iconstring', 'rulerformat' or 'statusline'
contained "%{" but no following "}" memory was corrupted and a crash could
happen.

Syntax highlighting: When using a combination of keepend and extend could
unexpectedly end a region.

GTK: When folds are present, dragging the scrollbar thumb didn't work.

":0append" and then inserting two lines did not redraw the blank lines that
were scrolled back down.

When using insert mode completion in a narrow window, the message caused a
scroll up.  Now shorten the message if it doesn't fit and avoid writing the
ruler over the message.

When working in an xterm, selecting a wrapped line with the shift key and
pasting it inserted line breaks.  The trick to tell the terminal that the line
wraps didn't work.

XIM still didn't work correctly on some systems, especially SGI/IRIX.  Added
the 'imdisable' option, which is set by default for that system.

Fixed two small problems for compiling with Borland. (Dan Sharp)

Epilogue
--------

WARNING: This is still an unstable version.  Most functionality should work
fine, but in some cases it might crash or even destroy your work.

If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
try to solve it and send me a patch.  If you can't do that, at least let me
know exactly how to reproduce the problem.

More info about the new 6.0 features with ":help version6".  Or look here:
http://vim.sf.net/whyvim.php.

If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

You can find Vim 6.0 here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/
More information about downloading: http://vim.sf.net/download.php

Unix:
unix/vim-6.0aw.tar.bz2		sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed
unix/vim-6.0aw-rt1.tar.gz	runtime files part 1
unix/vim-6.0aw-rt2.tar.gz	runtime files part 2
unix/vim-6.0aw-src1.tar.gz	sources part 1
unix/vim-6.0aw-src2.tar.gz	sources part 2
unix/vim-6.0av-6.0aw.diff.gz	diff between 6.0av and 6.0aw

Various:
extra/vim-6.0aw-extra.tar.gz		extra files
extra/vim-6.0aw-lang.tar.gz		multi-language files
extra/vim-6.0av-6.0aw-extra.diff.gz	extra diff
extra/vim-6.0av-6.0aw-lang.diff.gz	multi-lang diff
doc/vim60awhtml.zip			help files converted to HTML

MS-Windows:
pc/gvim60aw.exe			self-installing, includes runtime files
pc/vim60awrt.zip		runtime files
pc/vim60awlang.zip		extra files for translated messages and menus
pc/gvim60aw.zip			GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000
pc/gvim60awole.zip		GUI binary with OLE support
pc/gvim60aw_s.zip		GUI binary for Windows 3.1
pc/vim60awd16.zip		16 bits real mode - works on any system
pc/vim60awd32.zip		32 bits protected mode - needs 386 and DPMI
pc/vim60aww32.zip		console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
pc/vim60awsrc.zip		sources for PC (with CR-LF)

Amiga:
amiga/vim60awrt.tgz		runtime files
amiga/vim60awbin.tgz		binaries
amiga/vim60awsrc.tgz		sources packed for Amiga

OS/2:
os2/vim60awrt.zip		runtime files
os2/vim60awos2.zip		binaries

Happy Vimming!