Subject: Vim 6.0c alpha available
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 21:00:47 +0200

Another Vim in the 6.0 series.

WARNING: This is really an unstable version.  Many things have been added
without proper testing.  It does crash.  It may destroy your work.

This version is for developers, thus it comes as source code only.
If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
try to solve it and send me a patch.  If you can't do that, at least send me
precise information to save me time.

If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

In version 6.0c:

I have spent some time fixing reported problems.  This took a lot of time, and
there are still quite a few in the todo list.

I have removed the big switch for Ex commands in ex_docmd.c.  There are now
function references in the commands table.  This should make maintenance a bit
easier, and helps optimizers a lot (the SASC compiler on the Amiga ran out
of memory and crashed).

More info for the new 6.0 features at ":help version6".

Lots of things are not working yet.  Check ":help todo" for known items.

I NEED YOUR HELP: There is still a lot of work to be done.  If I have to do it
all by myself it will take a very long time until Vim.6.0 is ready.  Please
give a hand by implementing one of the items in the todo list.

You can find it here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

unix/vim-6.0c-rt.tar.gz		runtime files
unix/vim-6.0c-src.tar.gz	sources

extra/vim-6.0c-extra.tar.gz	extra files
extra/vim-6.0c-lang.tar.gz	multi-language files

Happy Vimming!