Subject: Vim 6.0e alpha available
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 20:56:22 +0200

Yeah, another Vim in the 6.0 series.

Quite a few more reported problems have been fixed.

New is the plugin support.  Just drop a Vim script in ~/.vim/plugin and it
will be loaded when Vim starts up.  This should make it easier to enhance Vim,
especially for newbies.  See |add-plugin|.

I intend to use the ~/.vim directory as the default entry in 'runtimepath' for
Vim on Unix.  Let me know if you think this is a bad choice.
I still need to pick a default directory for other systems.  Perhaps $VIM can
be used?  Or $HOME/vim?

New +termresponse feature.  Use the new xterm code to obtain the real code a
key produces.  Requires xterm 140 compiled with OPT_TCAP_QUERY and a bug fix.
When the termresponse starts with a CSI automatically set all keys to the
8-bit equivalents.

WARNING: This is really an unstable version.  Many things have been added
without proper testing.  It does crash.  It may destroy your work.

This version is for developers, thus it comes as source code only.
If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
try to solve it and send me a patch.  If you can't do that, at least send me
precise information to save me time.

If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

More info for the new 6.0 features at ":help version6".

Lots of things are not working yet.  Check ":help todo" for known items.

I NEED YOUR HELP: There is still a lot of work to be done.  If I have to do it
all by myself it will take a very long time until Vim.6.0 is ready.  Please
give a hand by implementing one of the items in the todo list.

You can find it here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

unix/vim-6.0e-rt.tar.gz		runtime files
unix/vim-6.0e-src.tar.gz	sources

extra/vim-6.0e-extra.tar.gz	extra files
extra/vim-6.0e-lang.tar.gz	multi-language files

Happy Vimming!