Subject: Vim 6.0m alpha available
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:44:04 +0100

Yet another Vim in the 6.0 series.

Major changes
-------------

The default for the 'viminfo' option is now '50,"50,h when 'compatible' isn't
set.  Most people will want to use 'viminfo', including beginners, but it
required setting the option, which isn't that easy.

Added the 'autowriteall' option.  Works like 'autowrite' but for all
commands that abandon a file.

Added the 'backupskip' option: When a file name matches this pattern no backup
file is made.  Default is "^/tmp", makes "crontab -e" work.

Other changes
-------------

Renamed skipblank() to prevnonblank().  Added nextnonblank().

When a ":s" command doesn't make any substitutions, it doesn't set the '[ and
'] marks.

For a quickfix window, use <CR> to jump to the line instead of a <Tab>.
Allows using CTRL-I to jump to another position.

After using ":colder" the newer error lists are overwritten.  This makes it
possible to use ":grep" to browse in a tree-like way.

Also set "v:errmsg" when using ":silent! cmd".

Fixes
-----

Global variables expand_context and expand_pattern were not supposed to be
global.  Pass them to ExpandOne() and all functions called by it.

HP-UX doesn't define struct sigaltstack but does have stack_t.  Added a
configure check for stack_t.

Crash when double clicking in Insert mode.

When ":wqa" reports a file that doesn't have a file name, Vim would crash.
emsg2() was called with an int, must use emsgn(). (Sung-Hyun Nam)

hasmapto() was not able to handle <Plug>.  Now translate key codes like ":map"
does.

With a vertical window split at the top of the screen, after a ":set" command
the right-upper window was not redrawn.

When a double-width character doesn't fit at the end of a screen line, "gk"
and "gj" didn't move correctly.  "g$" moved to the first character of the next
line.  The 'foldcolumn' wasn't highlighted.

When starting Insert mode, any message on the command line was removed.

When triple clicking on a '{', the change from characterwise to linewise
selection was not displayed correctly.  The inversion of the later lines was
not removed.

Double clicking on the second "(' in "(a(b))" also selected the second ')'.
The button-up event was also used to select a word.
Double click on "{" didn't include another character when 'selection' is
"exclusive".

Selecting V isual block, with the start partly on a Tab, deleting it leaves
the cursor too far to the left.  Causes "s" to work in the wrong position.

When using ":fun" with an illegal function name Vim crashed.  Check for NULL
return value from trans_function_name(). (Charles Campbell)

":set ft=" caused two errors for "<amatch>" being empty.

Pound sign in normal.c caused trouble on some compilers.  Use 0xA3 instead.

Doing c%() with $ in 'cpo' didn't display the ) because of a showmatch.

Epilogue
--------

WARNING: This is really an unstable version.  Many things have been added
without proper testing.  It does crash.  It may destroy your work.

This version is for developers, thus it comes as source code only.
If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
try to solve it and send me a patch.  If you can't do that, at least send me
precise information to save me time.

If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

More info for the new 6.0 features at ":help version6".

Lots of things are not working yet.  Check ":help todo" for known items.

I NEED YOUR HELP: There is still a lot of work to be done.  If I have to do it
all by myself it will take a very long time until Vim.6.0 is ready.  Please
give a hand by implementing one of the items in the todo list.

You can find it here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

unix/vim-6.0m-rt.tar.gz		runtime files
unix/vim-6.0m-src.tar.gz	sources

extra/vim-6.0m-extra.tar.gz	extra files
extra/vim-6.0m-lang.tar.gz	multi-language files

Happy Vimming!