Subject: Vim 6.0n alpha available
From: Bram Moolenaar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:56:00 +0100

Yet another Vim in the 6.0 series.

Major changes
-------------

Beefed up the argument list:
- Added ":arglocal" and ":argglobal" commands.  Make it possible to use an
  argument list local to a window.
- Added ":argdo" command: execute a command on all files in the argument list.
- Added ":argadd" command: Add file names to the argument list.
- Added ":argdelete" command: Delete file names from the argument list.
- "##" can be used like "#", it is replaced by all the names in the argument
  list concatenated.  Useful for ":grep foo ##".

The jumplist is now stored in the viminfo file.  CTRL-O can
be used to jump to positions from a previous edit session.
When doing ":split" copy the jumplist to the new window.

Other changes
-------------

When setting 'syntax' to a name for which there is no syntax file, the syntax
highlighting is cleared.  Previously the existing highlighting was kept.

Added the +listcmds feature.  Can be used to compile without the Vim commands
that manipulate the buffer list and argument list (the buffer list itself is
still there, can't do without it).

The 16 bit MS-DOS version is now compiled without the +listcmds feature
(buffer list manipulation commands).  They are not often needed and this
executable needs to be smaller.

Added the FileChangedRO event: Triggered when making the first change to a
read-only file.  Can be used to check-out the file. (Scott Graham)

When doing charcode conversion while writing, add "[converted]" to the file
message.

When editing the last file in the argument list in any way, allow exiting.
Previously this was only possible when getting to that file with ":next" or
":last".

Allow using "s:func()" instead of "<SID>func()" in a script (except in
mappings).  Makes the function names easier to read.

For the tiny version or when FEAT_WINDOWS is not defined: Firstwin and lastwin
are equal to curwin and don't use w_next and w_prev.

Added '1' flag to 'formatoptions'. (Vit Stradal)

Fixes
-----

Makefile contained a few uncommented lines which should be commented.

getrlimit() could use RLIM_INFINITY for the value.  Check for this value to
avoid undefined behavior.

Warning for changing a read-only file wasn't given when 'insertmode' was set.

Configure: Add "-L/usr/local/lib" to $LIBS instead of $LDFLAGS.  It will
appear later in the linker line to avoid that the X-windows or GUI libraries
are used from the wrong directory.

Win32: When 'shellxquote' is set to a double quote (e.g., using csh), ":!start
notepad file" doesn't work.  Remove the double quotes added by 'shellxquote'
when using ":!start". (Pavol Juhas)

The "<f-args>" argument of ":command" didn't accept Tabs for white space.
Also, don't add an empty argument when there are trailing blanks.

Using <Down> or "j" in a quickfix window was handled like <CR>: jump to the
error.

":e test\\je" edited "test\je", but ":next test\\je" edited "testje".
Backslashes were removed one time too many for ":next".

VMS: "gf" didn't work properly.  Use vms_fixfilename() to translate the file
name. (Zoltan Arpadffy)

Win32 console: When restoring the console text, the old contents flashed by.
(Craig Barkhouse)

Dos 16 bit: "make test" didn't work: stack overflow when writing the file.
Allocate memory for the buffer used to make a backup copy instead of using an
array on the stack.

Epilogue
--------

WARNING: This is really an unstable version.  Many things have been added
without proper testing.  It does crash.  It may destroy your work.

This version is for developers, thus it comes as source code only.
If you run into something that doesn't work, please try to figure out why,
try to solve it and send me a patch.  If you can't do that, at least send me
precise information to save me time.

If you don't like the syntax of a command, the name of an option or how the
new features work, let's discuss this in the vim-dev maillist.

More info for the new 6.0 features at ":help version6".

Lots of things are not working yet.  Check ":help todo" for known items.

I NEED YOUR HELP: There is still a lot of work to be done.  If I have to do it
all by myself it will take a very long time until Vim.6.0 is ready.  Please
give a hand by implementing one of the items in the todo list.

You can find it here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/

unix/vim-6.0n-rt.tar.gz		runtime files
unix/vim-6.0n-src.tar.gz	sources

extra/vim-6.0n-extra.tar.gz	extra files
extra/vim-6.0n-lang.tar.gz	multi-language files

Happy Vimming!